Monday, February 25, 2013

Recipe #1 : Mushroom Quiche!

First Recipe on FitnessGeek!


I decided to do this Mushroom Quiche as the first recipe because it is so easy to make, and the ingredients are readily available and there are only 3 main ingredients!
This recipe is very flexible. You could use milk instead of cream, or totally omit the dairy. You can add or replace the Mushrooms. You could add spinach, potatoes, tomatoes, sausages, bacon... Basically anything you want! There really aren't any rules to making this dish.  I even saw a version of this where in they put all the ingredients in a mug and microwaved it for about 3-5 minutes.


If you have any questions, don't hesitate to leave a comment below! :)

Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
Baking Time: 20-30 minutes

Ingredients:
(**Optional)
4 egg whites
2 tbsp Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/2 cup Mushrooms
1/4 cup Heavy Cream**
Tabasco**
Herbs, Seasonings and Spices (I used, Rosemary, Oregano, Thyme, Cayenne Pepper, Black Pepper, Salt)**
Bread Crumbs with Parmesan Cheese**


1. Preheat your oven to 350 F! 
Now, I am usually lazy to do this step, and I often skip it. I won't judge if you skip it too.

2. Take your mushrooms and chop them up.
I took my whole mushrooms and sliced each into 4 pieces.

3. Microwave/Saute your mushrooms.
For Microwaving:
Place your mushrooms in a microwave safe container and cover it. Microwave it for about 2-3 minutes. Microwaving the mushrooms saves time and calories. You don't need to add fat like butter or oil to cook them.

For sauteing:
Heat 1 tbsp. of oil in a pan. Put the mushrooms in the pan, and keep stirring for about 8-10 minutes or until you think it's good. I only sauteed mine for five minutes. Once it's cooked, put the mushrooms over a paper towel lined plate to remove the oil from the mushrooms.

4. Mix the egg whites, cream and parmesan cheese
Place all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix it with a fork until it is well combined.

5. Tabasco time!
If you are not a big fan of Hot Sauce, you can skip this part. But I have to say, I have a low tolerance when it comes to spicy food but the Tabasco just wakes up the dish. You can add as much or as little as you want. This would also be the time to add your seasonings. Adding a little Cayenne pepper gives it a good kick without being hot.

6. Mix in the Mushrooms.

Optional Step: I put breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and some salt on the top so it gives it a nice crust. This step is totally optional.

7. Put the mixture in an oven safe dish and bake for about 30 minutes.
While it's baking, you can go on right ahead and do whatever you want. I decided to finish a COD level that I rage quit the night before.


And voila! You're Mushroom Quiche is ready to eat!
This recipe with cream makes about 2 servings at 152 calories each. But I think it's so good, you can eat those 2 servings all by yourself. (Which I already have.)

If you omit the cream, you are taking out 200 calories and a lot of fat. Leaving you with only about 100 calories for the whole thing. These are the Nutritional Facts of the one With and Without the cream:





No comments:

Post a Comment